Friday, December 2, 2016

Re: [Electric Boats] Re: Newport Vessel trolling motors spec sheet

 

Bruce,
I don't know that anyone has reported any data yet from using a Torqeedo prop on anyone else's trolling motor.  I'm anxious to try that myself - but too many projects to get to it for a while...

Unless you have the financial fortitude to be able to "sacrifice" your Newport, and access to a machine shop to cobble up the mounting conversion - I would suggest you sit back and let someone else try the "Torqeedo prop on a generic trolling motor" experiment.  It is very possible to putting such a high pitch prop on a trolling motor might burn up either the motor or the controller - so don't do it if you can't afford the loss.   :)

PLEASE do let us know as soon as you have any top speed data on your boat with this motor, and any other thoughts you have on the Newport.

John



From: "bruce thomas mosslandingcreatures@gmail.com [electricboats]" <electricboats@yahoogroups.com>
To: electricboats@yahoogroups.com
Cc: Kyle Thomas <thomaskyle22@gmail.com>
Sent: Thursday, December 1, 2016 11:03 AM
Subject: Re: [Electric Boats] Re: Newport Vessel trolling motors spec sheet

 
Just bought the 86 pounder NV. Will be putting it on my 11 foot aluminum RIB in a few days...will report actual speed outcome to you all....they say 13.5...I'm will be happy with 7-8. Someone in our group suggested putting a torqueedo prop on it...my boat (so far) is only used in Monterey Bay so heat sink potential (60 degrees F) for motor housing pretty good assuming I'll have extra heat with that prop?  But I don't know about the upper electronics additional heat (tiller control pot and whatever other electrical) I am not an expert on electrical matters...has anyone put a temp transponder anywhere in a trolling motor? Can a guy use a infrared thermometer? Torqueedo 3 blade or two? Is RPM on high speed equivalent between Torqueedo and NV? Let me know, if you like, what I should try. Someone out there must have tried the Torqueedo props on non-Torqueedo motors? (2 or 3 blade).

Bruce

Sent from my iPad

On Dec 1, 2016, at 8:29 AM, oak oak_box@yahoo.com [electricboats] <electricboats@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

 
From what I've seen, Torqeedo claims that:
The Cruise 2.0 is equivalent to a 5hp motor, and
The Cruise 4.0 is equivalent to a 10hp motor.

From my experience trying them both on a Catalina 22, and a Catalina 30, that seemed to be in a reasonable ball park.

The Cruise4.0 on the Catalina 30 could push it (forward) with fair results up to 4mph in calm water (this is a LOT of boat to push with only 10hp mounted as an outboard on the stern!).  Unfortunately, an outboard mounted on the stern of a large, fat sailboat isn't going to perform well backing up with any kind of significant cross wind at the dock.

The Cruise2.0 pushed my C-22 at about 4.5mph max.
The Cruise4.0 would max out around 6.4mph.

I have recently tried mounting the 4.0 on a 13' wooden power boat.  It also maxed out around 6.5mph, which (while disappointing) is fairly consistent with hull speed for that boat.

I haven't seen Torqeedo make any max speed claims.  Their claims of HP might be a little over-stated, but my experience is that it's no grossly so.

It would be fun to see what an 86# Newport Vessel trolling motor could do.  My skepticism is that I doubt you'd get anywhere near 13mph on anything but an ultralight, specially designed platform.

What is the max theoretical speed of a 13" pitch prop?
I guess that depends on the RPM of the motor?  
Anyone have any idea what max RPM of a trolling motor is?  Maybe 1500RPM?

With a pitch of 13", and a max of 1500 RPM, that would give a max theoretical speed of 18.5mph  (someone check my math, please?).
Does that seem about right?






From: "mkriley48@yahoo.com [electricboats]" <electricboats@yahoogroups.com>
To: electricboats@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Thursday, December 1, 2016 8:47 AM
Subject: [Electric Boats] Re: Newport Vessel trolling motors spec sheet

 
would it be possible to borrow a 2.5 gas outboard and conduct the same test to see how much BS is in torqeedo advertising?
I suspect the truth has been stretched.
mike




__._,_.___

Posted by: oak <oak_box@yahoo.com>
Reply via web post Reply to sender Reply to group Start a New Topic Messages in this topic (53)

Have you tried the highest rated email app?
With 4.5 stars in iTunes, the Yahoo Mail app is the highest rated email app on the market. What are you waiting for? Now you can access all your inboxes (Gmail, Outlook, AOL and more) in one place. Never delete an email again with 1000GB of free cloud storage.


.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment