Sunday, February 1, 2015

Re: [Electric Boats] Results of EBoat from outboard change at years end [6 Attachments]

 
[Attachment(s) from 'cal' h20dragon@centurytel.net [electricboats] included below]

The hull is 17' 6" Garvey, about 3 ft wide bow, 12 deg. stern warped vee by about 6 ft. wide at water line and maybe 9 in draft.  My own design, light, marine ply/epoxy glass cloth.   Bolt on and removable cabin with sleep/camp for two inside.  Or remove it and look like any other glass boat – but much lighter of course.   With the 115 Merc 2 stroke, it did over 50 mph cruise, at gallons of 2 stroke 6 + gal hr.  Shore folk threw bottles and yelled at my 3 ft. high wake.    Now it does 5 mph all day for free, if the camp has a dock plug,  I can see a lot more, chat with other coots, and camp.  A bit of adjustment time for sure.
 
At night I just pull a full boat cover over the 6' 4" headroom Bimini top, fire up the inside/outside swinging heater & grill thing I built, heat er up and stay dry.  Folding deck chairs let me peek out the open areas, and make a hot rum before bed, simple queen air mattress inside, reading lights, and a good bag.  If in summer, the semi clear insulated skylight cabin center top folds partly or totally open for star gazing, with side privacy smoked windows, and sail boat like drop panels for doors.  Skylight is also a walk through for docking over the bow, anchoring same way. or just hot day naps with sections folded, all easy to do and waterproof.   Bob Larkins  bird watcher and other ideas re designed for a shorter and more power oriented cruiser for two or three, and a lake week end.   Much hatch hidden storage, Porta Pottie, all sleep stuff, and extra clothes, full galley plus ice chest / all removable in 30 minutes at will. 
 
Laws of water power says hull speed or below is max for good use,  so I can do about 5 mph cruise sensibly, that's six hours with some variables, snacks, fishing, read or whatever is maybe 20 mile range, solo trip, with plenty left over.   I learned to just use what the lake calls for, save for reserve or shorter recharge time.  If I troll and just putt, maybe 2 to 3 mph I extend the time, gauges and weather fronts tell me when to turn around.  Just like a gassie, stomp it and you pay the price !!  Put six coots on board, and it draws more water and more fun.  If I had to go fast again, I'd trade up to get a different boat.  Or, put a 10 hp on my 8 ft; inflatable, that does it too.
 
Everything is custom, hull, cabin designed, built, and of course modified over 8 years by me.  Just looking for what works in Oregon lakes, and is cheap to own, or remove weight for lower state fees – below trailer fee limit, and under 18 feet equipment limit, no hull openings etc.  Electric winch loading with wireless remote.  Please relate to this a an information and opinion note.  I do see others see things differently, and I do not desire complex solutions to do more than my budget allows.   More power to those who do, some new ideas need funding to be successful, but not on what I choose to put into the project. 
 
Sorry if I said some of this earlier, but pictures don't show it off fully.  Not much stock info. about it with what I did, or did over, thanks --- Cal
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Sent: Sunday, February 01, 2015 12:33 AM
Subject: Re: [Electric Boats] Results of EBoat from outboard change at years end
 
 

Cal - nice story !

Whats the boat .. and what speeds do you get for the 3 hour ride ?
Pics ?

-- -hanermo (cnc designs)

__._,_.___

Attachment(s) from 'cal' h20dragon@centurytel.net [electricboats] | View attachments on the web

6 of 6 Photo(s)


Posted by: "cal" <h20dragon@centurytel.net>
Reply via web post Reply to sender Reply to group Start a New Topic Messages in this topic (28)

Check out the automatic photo album with 6 photo(s) from this topic.
y5.JPG a.JPG m.JPG v.JPG y2.JPG


.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment