Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Re: [Electric Boats] Converting a 1969 Cal 34 from Atomic 4 to electric

 

Hi all
I'm a long time sailor currently between boats
I am looking to buy a 26 to 29 footer with a dead diesel or dying Atomic 4 and go electric
I looked into thus a decade ago but found only very high voltage setups (solomon )
With 48V motors, the battery setup starts to be feasible
My research is so far inclining me towards Thoosa and 8 6V gels in series
I will continue others adventures as my search continues  


Dennis Gibbons


On Oct 24, 2012, at 9:13 AM, John Francis <surv69@gmail.com> wrote:

 

I too would be interested . . . 


I'd like to changeover my A-4 engine to electric on a Newport 28, but I'd like to do it on the cheap(permanent magnet).

Right now I have an 80 pound thrust MinnKota(24 volt), on the back and it looks like it would suffice in anything other than somewhat high winds.  I'm wondering about using it(MinnKota), as an emergency auxillary(sp), for the A-4 engine, since I've witnessed that the best and most well-kept of the A-4 engines can be problematic at times.

My expected use of the electric motor(main prop), is to have more motor than Lin & Larry Pardee expoused in their "motorless" endeavors . . . I figure . . . if they could go all that time with no motor, why can't I get along with a motor that truly meets the minimum requirements(the MinnKota).  Then, again, if I upgrade my main motor(A-4) to electric, why can't I get along even better than they did with no motor"?

While I can appreciate the added benefits to a brushless motor, I can't appreciate(I'm retired & on SS), the much higher costs of the motor and controller . . . let alone the more complicated setups.  I also don't want or expect a motor system that will allow me to motor at or even near hull-speed.  I only want to travel about 1/2 hull-speed for about 5-10 miles with bursts to upward about 3/4 hull-speed for short distances and an available longer range at less than 1/2 hull-speed.  In fact, when there's no wind, I expect to be at anchor or will be satisfied with a couple of knots(2 or so knots), until I get some wind.


Cheap and simple is what I want . . .


John Francis
Newport 28


On Tue, Oct 23, 2012 at 6:50 PM, baumann_dean <no_reply@yahoogroups.com> wrote:
I am looking for advice from anyone that has converted a Cal 34 sailboat to electric.  Motor chosen?  Type of Battery Pack?  Results in terms of run length, recharge time, etc.



------------------------------------

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> To visit your group on the web, go to:
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/electricboats/

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
    http://groups.yahoo.com/group/electricboats/join
    (Yahoo! ID required)

<*> To change settings via email:
    electricboats-digest@yahoogroups.com
    electricboats-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

<*> To unsubscribe from this group, send an email to:
    electricboats-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com

<*> Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to:
    http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/


__._,_.___
Reply via web post Reply to sender Reply to group Start a New Topic Messages in this topic (6)
Recent Activity:
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment