Monday, May 28, 2012

Re: [Electric Boats] Re: Electric Jon boat motors 12v-72v

 

home-brewed stuff on a budget, theres "monsterscooterparts.com" for motors,
couple of em 900 and 1000 watts. they direct couple to "youngprops.com" stuff..
the motors are good for about 2500 rpm and a lot of torque to the 7" T1, T15, or T-18.
it's going through hull with a skeg, not a biggie if scratch building and tinkering.
the combo is quite a bit better performing than a typical trolling motor.
 
right now (literally) I'm dropping an 18v drill motor (mabuchi 550 size can motor)
with a 6:1 gear ratio to a youngprop's T-4, into a little 1 sheet canoe..
not that I'm expecting miracles, just bored and its something to do atm.
if it doesnt cruise with me in it, maybe it'll become a 12ft RC model destroyer.

--- On Mon, 5/28/12, danbollinger <no_reply@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

From: danbollinger <no_reply@yahoogroups.com>
Subject: [Electric Boats] Re: Electric Jon boat motors 12v-72v
To: electricboats@yahoogroups.com
Date: Monday, May 28, 2012, 12:58 PM

 
My 42" wide, 12' jon boat has a Torqueedo and it is a good setup. There are times then it draws too much in the section of the Wabash River I boat on, which is shallow and gravel bottom. Jon boats are planing craft, so not a good boat for displacement speeds that the Torqueedo produces. Still, it moves us around. I now have 3 batteries for my 801. In another thread I mentioned how I added a transom extension to turn my jon boat into a displacement boat with improved performance.

We often talk about what's the ideal motor for a given boat, but since the Torqueedo is such a good power plant, it begs the question: What's the ideal boat for a Torqueedo?

--- In electricboats@yahoogroups.com, BL <benlessin@...> wrote:
>
> The Torqeedo seems to be the new freshwater standard, and has set the bar higher as far as looks go; Though I have seen homemade motors(some from drill parts) outpower and outlast the best. Out on Prettyboy, Liberty, and Loch Raven Reservoirs near Baltimore I have seen alot of great setups. I am wondering if anyony had experience with homebrew Jon boat electric motors or any suggestions. And obviously opinions about the trending Torqeedo and others is surely welcome
>
> On a side note I am also looking for information or recommendations for bimini solar tops.
>
> -I3Å&#65533;
>

__._,_.___
Recent Activity:
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment