Monday, October 17, 2011

Re: [Electric Boats] Well, I am pleased to meet you, won't you guess my name.

 


I'm solidly behind the idea of running solely on power generated by sun and wind, I'd love to work out a viable/affordable design where I could harvest power from the tide or the flow of a river while the vessel was anchored at night, but this craft runs in the real world with a real budget and is (hopefully) going places where a shore line will only be ballast. 
A set of alternators isn't my first choice for generating power, but in beats the alternatives on a 20 foot pontoon boat with only electric motors for propulsion, a limited amount of deck space and nothing but a couple of oversized beer cans and Davy Jones locker below decks.  
The Briggs and Stratton runs day or night, rain or shine.
I'm not trying to make you put one on your boat, or anyone else's. If you don't like it, no problem, don't make one.

The guy that started this thread was looking for options, and I gave him one.
...this was the guy that wanted to build something that was cheaper then rent remember?
Just the slip space for the kind of boats you're talking about probably costs more then he spends on a months rent. 
I'm sorry if you don't like the idea (actually I'm not, but I defer to everyone else following this.)
It is a viable option if you want some cheap back-up power that runs on the same fuel as the Colman lantern and camp stove, could easily be converted to LNG or LPG if that's what you'd prefer to run the domestic systems on, takes up only 2.5 square feet of deck space and it beats the snot out of his plan for "towing a dingy with extra solar panels".

Since you don't get 100% efficiency out of solar panels, does that mean they don't work and we shouldn't use them?
Will adding another 80 lb of solar array generate power at night or on a rainy day?
Did I somehow miss the section of the user group description that said I was required to be a pretentious twit with the other members?
I was under the impression this site was about possibilities.

If you've got a $100 option that generates power in the dark with fuel already available on board and takes up the same deck space as a medium sized beverage cooler, I'd be happy to hear about it.



__._,_.___
Recent Activity:
MARKETPLACE

Stay on top of your group activity without leaving the page you're on - Get the Yahoo! Toolbar now.

.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment