Friday, September 2, 2011

Re: [Electric Boats] 16x16 model airplane prop on Torqeedo 801 tried

 

Neil and Dennis,

Torqeedo does have a higher pitch prop. I have one for my Cruise 4 but it will not easily, if at all, fit the 801. I had an 801L on my sailboat. The bigger, newer motors use a cross pin rather than the wavy washers to lock the prop to the shaft.

On my 18' alum Starcraft utility [about 700 lb including me] I got 9.5 mph max. with the standard prop and could only draw 3kw. I was maxing out on rpm before fully loading the prop. With the higher pitch prop I got 13 mph at 4.6kw.  I would not suggest running above 4kw, the rating on the motor. Anyway at these loads the batteries don't last very long. Sure does impress the fisherman at our local electric-only lake!

At the same power draw the higher pitch prop gives me an extra 1 mph at 3 kw and an extra 0.5 mph at 1 kw.

Best wishes,
Ned
On Sep 2, 2011, at 9:37 AM, Dennis Wolfe wrote:

 

You know Torqeedo sells a higher pitch prop - I believe they call it a speed prop.

On 9/2/2011 8:39 AM, F Neil Simms wrote:

 

Just a quick post to say my cobbled-together two-blade 16x16 APC model airplane prop on a Torqeedo 801 produced some interesting results in my first tests. I tried the rig out on my Harpoon 5.2 sailboat (left the mast/boom at home).

Initial results show about 40% less power consumed for a given speed versus the stock 12x10 3-blade Torqeedo prop. I did experience a lot of vibration, especially at higher RPM, as my crude spacer and the attachment of the prop were less than well-balanced. I did have a model airplane spinner on the end, which should have helped smooth flow somewhat.






__._,_.___
Recent Activity:
MARKETPLACE

Stay on top of your group activity without leaving the page you're on - Get the Yahoo! Toolbar now.


A bad score is 579. A good idea is checking yours at freecreditscore.com.
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment