Friday, September 2, 2011

[Electric Boats] revisiting electric drive

 

Hi all;

We have a Wauquiez Pretorien 35, which is a fin keel ocean going sailboat. Through a long drawn out situation with a LIFEPO4 seller here in the US, I am now in possession of a bunch of batteries. I started out with 4 200ah cells for a house bank, and wanted to increase that to 8. Now, I have 20 in one set, and two other sets of 4!

So, my initial thought was hey, I can install 16 of these as a 800ah 12v bank (We have a volvo 28hp diesel saildrive) and four more as the engine start batt, and sell the rest. But then, I got thinking again about an electric series hybrid drive.

So I could install 16 as a 48v setup, and 4 as the "House" 12v battery. That part is easy to figure out. Of course, the rest is not. Gretchen and I are planning to leave for at least 2 years, as soon as we sell or rent our active/passive solar home (www.witzgall.org). There have been many boats converted to date for coastal cruising, but I have not read of anyone that is planning to "Sail Away" with an electric setup.

I would need a generator, motor system, and charger. Here is what I am thinking so far.
1. Angi 95r motor. Either coupled directly to the 2.5:1 saildrive, or remove the upper unit and use belts/pulleys to get the right ratio. Not sure of controller. I know regen is a farce to most, but I would at least like to try. Prop could be changed to better match the setup
2. Zivian ng-3 charger -50a, OR a Magnum Energy inverter charger, 60a
3. Diesel below decks generator. As much as I like the simplicity of a Honda above decks genset, I do not think they are appropriate for offshore use. I am unsure of the size. 50a of charging is 2400 ish watts. What percentage of total output should I be shooting for, with respect to the charger amps vs total gen output?

__._,_.___
Recent Activity:
MARKETPLACE

Stay on top of your group activity without leaving the page you're on - Get the Yahoo! Toolbar now.


A bad score is 598. A bad idea is not checking yours, at freecreditscore.com.
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment