Friday, September 2, 2011

[Electric Boats] 16x16 model airplane prop on Torqeedo 801 tried

 

Just a quick post to say my cobbled-together two-blade 16x16 APC model airplane prop on a Torqeedo 801 produced some interesting results in my first tests. I tried the rig out on my Harpoon 5.2 sailboat (left the mast/boom at home).

Initial results show about 40% less power consumed for a given speed versus the stock 12x10 3-blade Torqeedo prop. I did experience a lot of vibration, especially at higher RPM, as my crude spacer and the attachment of the prop were less than well-balanced. I did have a model airplane spinner on the end, which should have helped smooth flow somewhat.

Top speed went from 5 mph to 5.5 mph. I think it would have been higher without the strong vibration. This is on a fairly heavy, wide 17' boat, over 1000lbs with batteries and me aboard for the tests.

I'm going to spend some effort to improve the balance, then will rerun the tests when it's running smoothly, and publish the results here. With its ability to run off an external 24v bank, a used 801 is an inexpensive solution capable of running at high speed and efficiency if we can get it to play nicely with high pitch, large/slow props. I'm hoping for 7.7mph out of it for my new 24' long/skinny/light electric boat build, based upon JavaProp projections (800 watts in, 620 rpm).

Cheers,

Neil S.

P.S. Has anybody else here played with 16x16 or similar props on a Torqeedo?

__._,_.___
Recent Activity:
MARKETPLACE
A bad score is 579. A good idea is checking yours at freecreditscore.com.

Stay on top of your group activity without leaving the page you're on - Get the Yahoo! Toolbar now.

.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment