Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Re: [Electric Boats] Sneakeasy and Electric Power

 

I always liked the Sneakeasy. There were several sites developed by their builders. Keep us posted, and put your building process up on the web somewhere.

On Tue, Feb 1, 2011 at 3:04 PM, b504now <b504now@yahoo.com> wrote:
 

Last year, we converted a small outboard to electric power. We ended up with a Etek clone (MARS), a AXE controller, 48V car battery system but it was on top of a B&S electric outboard base (the previous owner had stripped the motor out). The boat was a 18ft homebuilt garvey flats and to say it was inefficient is being kind. We can run about 1 hr all out and even that gets about 6mph. (105ah batteries). Deep cycle (thats what I had). My guess is that since the outboard was built for 5hp, pushing with 10 was ineffective (prop size)

We are about to build a Bolger Sneakeasy. James M Rudholm built one with electric power, but sadly, his web site seems to have gone away, which is terrible for me since I was hoping to lift his experience.

Looks like the Sneakeasy was getting 12mph on 8hp gas. If I look at the charts, I should get about 10 on my 48V ETEK. But I'd like to get a longer running time. About 2 hours is where I need to be. But... there are lots of other factors that I can balance so I need some guidance.

We are using a 25hp outboard as a base (10in prop) but we have rigged a pulley drive to the motor. Since cruising speed is more important to me that pure speed, any feel for the optimum prop speed ?

Since I can gear up or down the motor. My inclination was to get speed up the prop but should I allow the motor to turn faster and the prop slower ? Whats the current best thinking ?

Mr Rudholm used 8- 6v batteries, given my setup, any recommendations on battery ? My westmarine deep cycle were "free" but now that I have authority to buy new ones, any thoughts ? Go Carts batteries ? Car ? What ? I've read a lot of the posts and nominally more confused than illuminated.

Thanks


__._,_.___
Recent Activity:
MARKETPLACE

Get great advice about dogs and cats. Visit the Dog & Cat Answers Center.


Stay on top of your group activity without leaving the page you're on - Get the Yahoo! Toolbar now.

.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment