Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Re: [Electric Boats] Electric motor conversion

 

http://www.slowboatcruise.com/    This couple is more then halfway through there great loop adventure using electric and solar.  They also have a similar size boat as you.  Check out there blog and compare to what you are planning. 

Your house boat may actually be lighter then there all steal boat. You may also have more room for solar panels. The one thing I would do different then them is instead of keeping there gas motor on the drive train, I would have used a little bigger electric motor and a dc generator for those times when the sun shine power was not fast enough for them. 

I love there blog. Lots of fun to keep up with where there are at. 


On Feb 1, 2011, at 2:23 PM, bill garrison <wagarrison@yahoo.com> wrote:

 

Klamath Falls, oregon

William A. Garrison

--- On Tue, 2/1/11, GNHBus@aol.com <GNHBus@aol.com> wrote:

From: GNHBus@aol.com <GNHBus@aol.com>
Subject: Re: [Electric Boats] Electric motor conversion
To: electricboats@yahoogroups.com
Date: Tuesday, February 1, 2011, 10:46 AM

 

Where are you located Bill ? There are a few angles to consider, but basically, DIY vs.Turnkey, pros & cons.



-----Original Message-----
From: Bill <wagarrison@yahoo.com>
To: electricboats@yahoogroups.com
Sent: Tue, Feb 1, 2011 1:14 am
Subject: [Electric Boats] Electric motor conversion

 
I have a golf cart, 48volt, with a working controller, charger, and transmission. I am wondering if I could use this set-up on a 40' houseboat. If I can do this, what size/type propeller should I use? Should I use the transmission with a larger propeller, or a pulley system directly to the motor. Or are there other options that are more efficient or better. I am new to the houseboat scene. My fiance and I are considering a livestyle change that involves cruising around the great american loop but starting in Jamaica. I believe an electric set up would serve our purposes best. Can someone out there help?


__._,_.___
Recent Activity:
.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment