Sunday, October 4, 2009

Re: [Electric Boats] New Member: Question about converting from a 9.9hp to electric

 

Hi Ed,

I have a Torqeedo Cruise 4 on my trimaran, which displaces about
7000pounds or thereabouts and I can get 6.5 knots at full throttle.
The waterline length is 43 ft so don't expect that speed from your
boat. But the nice thing is that by dropping the speed to around 3
knots it only draws around 500watts and with 200ah of lithium
batteries that is about 16 hours cruising. My boat is also very
weight sensitive which is why I chose the lithium batteries.

I have only solar and wind for recharge so I don't want to be using
that much power on a regular basis because i'll be stuck on the anchor
for a few weeks recharging.

I'm hoping that energy for typical on/off anchor use can be recaptured
in a day of good sun.

A friend has tried a Cruise 4 on his 44 ft cat and can get about 5.5
knots at full throttle - I think it weighs in around 12000 pounds.
Again the long waterline helps.

Torqeedo claims the Cruise 4 is similar thrust to a 9.9hp outboard so
that should give you a good guide as to top speed.

I'd recommend the 48v version if can do it because it will give you
the extra power available for manouvring. When cruising you can drop
the speed back to match what your genset can produce.

Cheers

Chris
http://www.currentsunshine.com

Quoting jones5962 <tschuss@3ddev.com>:

> Hello All,
> I just found your group from the recommendation from a friend on
> the dock when talking over electric conversion.
> My wife and I have been live aboard cruisers for about 5 years now.
> We made the standard mistake of buying too large of a boat but have
> now down sized. We currently live and cruise aboard a Heavenly Twins
> 26ft catamaran and this is the boat I'm thinking of converting.
>
> We sail a lot but also in our travels end up in canals for long
> distances so I'm thinking of a hybrid system, think Chevy Volt not
> Prius. Currently we have an old yamaha 9.9 high thrust outboard and
> it's sufficient. But it's old and time for a change. I've giving
> thought just getting a new gas out board but I'm intrigued with the
> Torqeedo 2.0/4.0R.
>
> Our little cat is very weight sensitive so a battery bank of (8)
> T105s isn't going to happen. But, I've been thinking of (4) T105s,
> Torqeedo 2.0, Honda 1kw portable generator, and 240 watts of solar
> panels to supplement might make a nice setup. I could upgrade to
> the 4.0, 48V set up using (4) 12 volt batteries at a weight and cost
> penalty.
>
> I guess is that at with the generator running at part load I could
> run the Torqeedo at 1/2 throttle as long as gas lasts.
>
> My boat weighs between 5 to 7 thousand pounds. Shocking how much
> crap gets stuffed aboard before a cruise:) Has anyone experience
> with a torqeedo in similar configuration. Any thoughts would be
> appreciated.
>
> Ed
> S/V Rubicon
>
>
>
>

__._,_.___
Recent Activity
Visit Your Group
Yahoo! News

Odd News

You won't believe

it, but it's true

Sitebuilder

Build a web site

quickly & easily

with Sitebuilder.

Yahoo! Groups

Small Business Group

A community for

small business owners

.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment