Thursday, October 15, 2009

Re: [Electric Boats] H55 motors again!

 

Skip,

How long? (& How fast? How much?) Very important question(s).

BATTERY: I am using heavily used batteries, that someone else was discarding because they were blowing up in his pickup. They were part of a 144 volt series, with no BatteryManagementSystem, so they easily diverged in voltage. After two years of driving, he had 4 explode, and 4 more fail in a less exciting manner. So I started with 20, had one explode, and 6 boringly fail. That leaves 14 still working, plus one new 220ah battery for 90volts. The 14 remaining batteries were originally rated at 235ah each, but I suspect most would crap out after 110ah. Originally those particular batteries could give 300 amps without internal damage. Now I want to stay below 150 amps. I am using a 500amp 50mv shunt on a 250amp 50mv analog meter, so I have to double the meter reading for the actual amps. I will instead use a 250amp 50mv shunt, which should simplify and accu-fy my amperage readings.

How long? I guess 1 hour at 50amps would be 50% discharge.

How fast? The 10 year old GPS was not up to the task, so I am edu-guessing at 6 knots, and planning to use a more accurate GPS next test cruise.

How much? Still spending money... hard to say. I really should spend about $1800 on new batteries (or $6000 for the good stuff) which would double my repower costs ('cause I spent about $1800 over the last 6 years collecting these parts).

Mark Stafford

--- In electricboats@yahoogroups.com, Skip von Niederinghausen <farharbour@...> wrote:
>
> How long could you maintain 6kts?
>
> Skip
>
> On Thu, Oct 15, 2009 at 5:58 PM, <postal6@...> wrote:
>
> >
> >
> > Congratulations Mark ! I am sure you are satisfied with the performance.
> > 50 amps at 6 knots is moving right along.
> >
> > Don Swanson
> >
> >
> > On Thu, 15 Oct 2009 21:47:45 -0000 "Mark" <mstafford@...<mstafford%40natca.net>>
> > writes:
> >
> > I know it is a SAILboat, but I must celebrate my Herreshoff Marco Polo's
> > first auxilary powered movement in perhaps 15 years. We slipped from the
> > slip just after 11am in the Berkeley Marina, motored around the marina a
> > bit, maneuvered, played with the curious sea lions, then tied her back up
> > just after noon.
> > Preliminary numbers (crappy old GPS, so guestimation)
> > 90 volts (still missing one 6v battery)
> > 25 amps 3 knots
> > 50 amps 6 knots
> > Mark Stafford
> >
> > __________________________________________________________
> > Lose up to 20 lbs in one month with a new diet. Click here.
> >
> > http://thirdpartyoffers.juno.com/TGL2141/fc/BLSrjpTFoYcwVE7u2YWj0tA41F58nQEx4we0PC68KqS1Np7sYy3sCiW072A/
> >
> > [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
> >
> >
> >
>
>
> [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]
>

__._,_.___
Recent Activity
Visit Your Group
Yahoo! News

Get it all here

Breaking news to

entertainment news

Sitebuilder

Build a web site

quickly & easily

with Sitebuilder.

Y! Groups blog

The place to go

to stay informed

on Groups news!

.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment