Sunday, October 4, 2009

[Electric Boats] Re: Mars Electric PMSM question

 


I have installed the Mars ME0201013601 in my 29' Tripp Lentsch sloop last winter. I used a direct drive configuration - just a couple of shaft couplings and an extension shaft from McMaster, no belts or pulleys. I think the motor speed is ideal for the prop that had been used with my old Atomic 4 engine. I used the system all summer and it has worked very well. It would not be practical for someone who motors a lot, or who expects to drop his sails in a gale and motor home, but for someone who is ready to rely on the wind but wants an easy and reliable way to get on and off a dock or his mooring, and perhaps to go a couple of miles in a calm, it is excellent.
I used the Kelly controller and four $75 Walmart batteries, so the whole system cost about $1200.

--- In electricboats@yahoogroups.com, "fla_tim2003" <tbell2@...> wrote:
>
> Has anyone experimented with the Mars ME0201013601 PMSM motor. It is a totally enclosed design (which I like for a marine environment) and it turns at 1800 RPM at 48 V (ideal for 1.5:1 or 2:1 belt reduction).
> It has a lower continuous current rating (50A) than the more common open frame, internal fan cooled design (100A) but I will not have sufficient battery capacity to support 100 A continuous anyway.
>

__._,_.___
Recent Activity
Visit Your Group
Give Back

Yahoo! for Good

Get inspired

by a good cause.

Y! Toolbar

Get it Free!

easy 1-click access

to your groups.

Yahoo! Groups

Start a group

in 3 easy steps.

Connect with others.

.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment