Saturday, October 3, 2009

[Electric Boats] New Member: Question about converting from a 9.9hp to electric

 

Hello All,
I just found your group from the recommendation from a friend on the dock when talking over electric conversion.
My wife and I have been live aboard cruisers for about 5 years now. We made the standard mistake of buying too large of a boat but have now down sized. We currently live and cruise aboard a Heavenly Twins 26ft catamaran and this is the boat I'm thinking of converting.

We sail a lot but also in our travels end up in canals for long distances so I'm thinking of a hybrid system, think Chevy Volt not Prius. Currently we have an old yamaha 9.9 high thrust outboard and it's sufficient. But it's old and time for a change. I've giving thought just getting a new gas out board but I'm intrigued with the Torqeedo 2.0/4.0R.

Our little cat is very weight sensitive so a battery bank of (8) T105s isn't going to happen. But, I've been thinking of (4) T105s, Torqeedo 2.0, Honda 1kw portable generator, and 240 watts of solar panels to supplement might make a nice setup. I could upgrade to the 4.0, 48V set up using (4) 12 volt batteries at a weight and cost penalty.

I guess is that at with the generator running at part load I could run the Torqeedo at 1/2 throttle as long as gas lasts.

My boat weighs between 5 to 7 thousand pounds. Shocking how much crap gets stuffed aboard before a cruise:) Has anyone experience with a torqeedo in similar configuration. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Ed
S/V Rubicon

__._,_.___
Recent Activity
Visit Your Group
Give Back

Yahoo! for Good

Get inspired

by a good cause.

Y! Toolbar

Get it Free!

easy 1-click access

to your groups.

Yahoo! Groups

Start a group

in 3 easy steps.

Connect with others.

.

__,_._,___

No comments:

Post a Comment